When you purchase bike insurance it protects your bike and helps in its maintenance in the right condition. You should also maintain the policy in a similar way. You may forget about your insurance renewal and end up facing a lot of unwanted stress. What is one way to keep yourself informed? Or, is there a way you can check the status of your bike insurance online? Well, the answer is yes!
With the advancement in technology, you can go digital to maintain your car details, view them on demand, and take the necessary action!
One of the easiest ways to do so is through the website of the insurance company. All leading vehicle insurance companies in India, such as TATA AIG 2 wheeler insurance, have an online presence where their customers can check the status of the existing policy.
Apart from the insurer’s website, you can also check the insurance status through the Parivahan Sewa online system and the Regional Transport Office (RTO) online.
Table of Contents
Steps to Check Bike Insurance Status with Parivahan Sewa
Parivahan Sewa is the online platform introduced and maintained by The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways for maintaining the details of all the vehicles in the country. If you purchase or renew your insurance policy, it is updated under your profile within two days.
You can check your bike insurance policy status:
- Visit the official website of Parivahan Sewa.
- Click on the ‘Information Services’ tab on the menu bar.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the ‘Know Your Vehicle Details’ option.
- The system will caution with a dialogue box stating, ‘This link will take you to an external website’. Click on OK.
- The portal will direct you to the Vahan e-Services page.
- Login to the webpage using your registered mobile number.
- Enter your bike registration number and the verification code.
- Select and click on the ‘Search Vehicle’ tab.
Steps to check the bike insurance status through RTO
The RTO website for maintaining your vehicle details is managed by each state. Here’s how you can check your insurance status online from the respective states’ RTO websites.
- Visit the official RTO website of your State.
- Check for the online information service.
- Look for vehicle-related online services.
- Navigate to find the provision to provide your individual vehicle information to check the status. For example, you might have to provide your bike’s registration number, mobile number for identifying your vehicle details.
- Enter the details and the captcha code if provided and click on submit.
You will be able to view your bike details with the insurance expiry date.
Why should you check your bike insurance status online?
The validity of your bike insurance is fixed for the policy period. If you have purchased a short-term bike insurance policy, you will have to renew it every year. And, if you have opted for a long-term insurance plan, you will have to renew it in three to five years, as the case may be. If you fail to renew the policy on time, there are certain consequences that you have to handle. Here are a few to mention:
- As per the Motor Vehicles Act, it is mandatory to hold at least third-party insurance for your bike in India. If your insurance policy has expired or you forgot to renew it on time, you are violating the law if you ride without insurance. The traffic police can fine you or charge you for imprisonment.
- Your insurance provider will reject your claim for any damage or repairs if your bike insurance policy has expired. You will have to spend on the repairs out of your pocket in that case.
- Your insurance provider can also charge a higher premium when you go for a two wheeler insurance renewal post expiry. And even on such renewal, the insurer might go for an inspection of your vehicle and quote a higher premium if your vehicle has been damaged due to mishandling.
- You will be eligible for the No Claim Bonus only if you renew your insurance policy on time without making any claim in the previous policy term.
Maintaining the validity of your insurance policy is extremely important, considering the security aspects of your bike. It is quite common that you forget the date for renewal amidst busy work and family commitments. However, it is vital to frequently check your insurance policy’s status to take the necessary action on time. The Parivahan Sewa online portal and your State’s RTO website can help you do the bike insurance policy status check. Ensure to check the status online to stay protected and avoid unsavory consequences later!